Visual Studio

Crystal Reports - Accessing default value for a parameter using .NET SDK

Web 2.0: 

We have been using Crystal Reports for our Travel CRM with good results for a few years now. We use a completely custom ExtJs based experience for Report viewing which includes a custom user interface for entering report parameters (see screenshot below for an example) and a custom toolbar for managing report navigation and exporting etc (I had blogged about the toolbar earlier here).

DNN - Implementing IUpgradeable for a module's business controller class

I have to acknowledge, it has probably been more than a couple of years since I have done any real DNN (formerly DotNetNuke) development. Quite a few things seem to have changed in this time, especially with DNN 7.x.

MEF - Ordering multiple parts imported using ImportMany attribute of Managed Extensibility Framework

Hello World :)

It's been so long since I last blogged, it essentially feels to be blogging like first time. A lot has happened all this time, and I hope I would be able to share some of my learnings more frequently going forward.

WIF - Security Token Service for Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services

We had recently integrated Claims Authentication support in one of our enterprise applications. And it soon-after went into evaluation for a prospective clients. We had advised them to use ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) to create the authentication bridge between our application and the underlying authentication repository.

Visual Studio builds loaded projects only when building solution from command line

One of my Visual Studio 2010 solutions has a comparatively larger number of projects (more than 30). And we use PowerShell scripts extensively to automate many build and packaging tasks for this solution.

For example, the main PowerShell build script rebuilds all the projects in the solution, minifies js/css resources from various projects, packages various projects as stand-alone installable modules and packages the main project as an installer/updater.

ASP.NET MVC 4 - Convert an existing Web Application Project to Web Api project

I do not have much time to provide the background, suffice it should be to say that I decided to adopt ASP.NET 4.0 MVC Web Api in a major way today after being in evaluation mode for some days (4.0 MVC was still in Beta as I wrote this).

And so I needed to convert my existing Web Application (WAP) projects to Web Api projects. And I followed a very simple approach to figure out the same. I created a new solution with 2 projects, one a WAP project and the other a Web Api project. I removed all default configuration from both the projects leaving only the absolute essentials behind.

Visual Studio - Converting a library project to web application project (WAP)

So it happened that I had a library project in a large solution in Visual Studio 2010 that I now wanted to operate as a Web Application project so I can configure an IIS application for it (it was bascially a bridge project for communication with a third-party library to which I now needed to add HttpHandlers to provide http end-points for interaction with the third-party library).

ASP.NET - Using Powershell and Google Translate to provide automatic localization

Web 2.0: 

UPDATE (June 11, 2011): A complete sample ASP.NET application demonstrating features in this blog post is available here: ASP.NET - A complete translation framework through Powershell and Google Translate

 

jsBeautifier.net - Javascript beautifier in .Net

Web 2.0: 

I finally got fed-up today with having to use online javascript beautifiers whenever I needed to re-format a minified javascript file to make it readable. I often need to reformat a minified script to have a look at some part of it and thought it would be great if a utility can quickly format the script through command-line.

Ext.Net - Modifying embedded Ext.net scripts

Web 2.0: 

I just had an immediate need for modifying the core Ext.Net scripts that are embedded into the toolkit assembly itself. Till now, I resisted all temptations for doing so earlier, instead choosing to override Ext.Net behavior when needed by including my own scripts after the Ext.Net scripts on the page.